2nd Open Call Juried Photography Exhibition
October 15 – November 14, 2015
- Entry deadline September 24, 2015, 11:59pm MDT
- Jurored by Paula Tognarelli, Executive Director and Curator of the Griffin Museum of Photography.
- Apply to the exhibit on CAFÉ
- Download Prospectus
Peter Miller Fine Art (PMFA) photography gallery seeks a broad range of exhibition-ready work from established and emerging photographers for its 2nd Open Call juried show, October 15 through November 14, 2015, juried by Paula Tognarelli, Executive Director and Curator of the Griffin Museum of Photography.
We want to hear (and see) your story, what drives, motivates, and inspires your creative process. All photo-based printed images are welcome. There is no limitation to subject matter or technique. All entries will be reviewed and judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit.
PMFA invites photographers from around the world working in all mediums, styles, and schools of thought to participate. Experimental and mixed techniques are welcome. Artwork must be photography-based and must be 40 inches or less in either height or width (including the frame). For example, a 40 x 60 inch piece is not eligible, but a 40 x 30 inch piece is eligible. Photographers must be age 18 or older.
- Best of show $500
- 2nd place $200
- 3rd place $100
- People’s choice prize $200 determined by online poll conducted during the exhibit. Prize awarded at the end of the exhibit. (email address required for online vote)
- Prizes are awarded as gift cards from a worldwide online photography store
Entry deadline: September 24, 2015, 11:59 pm MDT
- Notice of acceptance: October 1 , 2015
- Print service: end of day, Sunday October 4, 2015
- Artwork received October 10 and October 11 from 1 to 4pm
- Shipped artwork received up to October 12 at 4pm
- Awards reception: October 15, 5 to 7pm
- Gallery Night Providence: October 15, 5 to 9pm
- Show closes: November 14, 12 noon
- Artwork pickup: November 14 and 15 from 1 to 4pm
- Any pieces not picked up after November 21 may be donated to charity.
$30 for three pieces and $10 for each additional entry. Limit of 6 entries per person. Online submission and fees are handled only through CAFÉ (CallforEntry.org), a free and easy-to-use online application system. Entry fees are non-refundable.
How to Enter
- Select 3 (and up to 6) images. Save each file as JPG, highest quality, sRGB color space, 1920 pixels on the longest side, and file size less than 5 megabytes. All entries will be anonymously reviewed, so name the file whatever you like but do not include your name within.
- Go to CAFÈ (https://www.callforentry.org) and complete your entry before 11:59pm (Mountain Time) on September 24, 2015.
Juror’s Review Criteria in Order of Importance:
- Does the image communicate the artist’s unique vision? Tell a story? Express emotion? Interact with the viewer?
- Does the subject matter (content, composition, and quality of light) stand out? Show me something I haven’t seen before?
- Did the artist exhibit technical control in image capture and post-processing?
- Was the quality of the artist’s work consistent across all submissions?
- Is the printing and framing of the photograph high quality?
- Was the work created within the last 3 years?
- Did the artist follow the submission guidelines?
Notification of Acceptance
All applicants will be notified by email on October 1, 2015. A list of accepted artists will be posted on the PMFA website.
Accepted Photographs for Exhibition
Artwork can be hand delivered to the gallery October 10 and October 11 from 1 to 4pm. Shipped artwork should arrive between Friday October 9 and Monday October 12 2015.
Presentation matters! Prize winners will be judged from the actual work hanging in the gallery.
All work submitted for exhibition must be printed and framed professionally with either glass or plexi, and be wired with D-rings and ready to hang. PMFA recognizes that some work is non-traditional and incorporates the framing as an integral part of the presentation. Prints on aluminum, wood, or other alternative material are acceptable. The maximum height and/or width including the frame must not exceed 40 inches.
Photographs not suitably prepared will be excluded. Once unpacked at the gallery framed photographs may be evaluated once again. Printing excellence, mounting and framing qualities of each piece will be taken into account. Do not use screwed hooks, sawtooth hangers, exposed glass edges, or cleats. Work not properly framed or damaged in shipment may not be exhibited.
Distant photographers whose work is accepted for the exhibit can use our print service to avoid shipping costs and mailing problems. The Best of Show winner of the May 2015 “1st Open Call” show used the print service.
We print images at a good size to maximize impact at exhibition. The process is easy:
- Save your file at 300dpi at one of the standard image sizes below (next page). Save as JPG maximum quality, file size less than 20MB.
- Email the file to PMFA. Write “print service and [your name]” in the subject line of your email by end of day, Sunday October 4, 2015.
- PMFA will email you a PayPal invoice for $40 per print.
- Promptly send payment for the invoice so we can print, frame, and hang your image in time for the show.
After the exhibit all print-service prints remain available for viewing at the gallery. At your request we can ship the print to you after the show has concluded (contiguous 48 states USA only).
Print service image sizes at 300dpi:
- 12 x 16 inches (3:4 aspect)
- 14 x 14 inches (Square)
- 11 x 16.5 inches (2:3 aspect)
- 18 x 10.125 inches (16:9 aspect)
- All prints have additional white border all around and will be displayed in professional 3/4 inch black frames behind acrylic.
Artists who choose to ship accepted works will be responsible for supplying a pre-paid return shipping label. Shipped artwork must be received by October 12 at 4pm.
Peter Miller Fine Art Photography Gallery
118 North Main Street, 2nd Floor
Providence, RI 02903
Sales, Commission, and No Sales Tax
All work accepted for gallery exhibition must be for sale. PMFA will retain a 30% commission on the sale of any work. Sale proceeds will be paid to the artist within 30 days of the close of the show. All photographs must be signed by the artist. The sale of signed, original, limited edition artwork in the state of Rhode Island is sales tax free.
About the Juror
Paula Tognarelli is the Executive Director and Curator of the Griffin Museum of Photography in Winchester, Massachusetts, a nonprofit with a mission to promote an appreciation of photographic art and a broader understanding of its visual, emotional and social impact. Ms. Tognarelli is responsible for producing over 60 exhibitions a year at the Griffin and its surrounding satellite spaces.
Paula holds an M.S. in Arts Administration from Boston University, BA from Regis College, is a graduate of the New England School of Photography and is a current candidate for her Masters in Education at Lesley University. She has juried and curated exhibitions internationally including American Photo’s Image of the Year, Photoville’s Fence, Flash Forward Festival, Deland Arts Festival, Center for Fine Art Photography, PDN’s Photo Annual, PDN’s Curator Awards, the Kontinent Awards, the Filter Festival in Chicago, San Francisco International Photography Exhibition , Your Daily Photograph for Duncan Miller Gallery and the Lishui International Photography Festival in Lishui, China.
Paula is a regular participant in national and local portfolio reviews, has been a panelist and featured speaker at photography events and conferences including MacWorld. She has been a panelist for the Massachusetts Cultural Council’s Photography Fellowships and is a nominator for the Prix Pictet in Geneva, Switzerland, a nominator for the Heinz Prize in Pennsylvania, the Robert Gardner Fellowship at Harvard University, and the Rappaport Prize in Massachusetts. She is a past member of the Xerox Technical Advisory Board. She is on the advisory board of the New England School of Photography and the Flash Forward Festival Boston.
Gallery Night Providence
PMFA is a member gallery of Gallery Night Providence.
The “Open Call” awards reception will coincide with the October 15, 2015 Gallery Night.
Every third Thursday of the month, from March to November, 22 galleries and museums across Providence, Rhode Island open their doors. Gallery Night Providence is a free event, and celebrates art ranging from contemporary multi-media installations to one-of-a-kind functional artworks.
Starting with nine determined galleries in 1996, Gallery Night Providence has grown into a regional visual arts extravaganza. Art buses travel the neighborhoods of Providence letting people on and off at galleries, museums and historic sites. Over 10,000 people each year enjoy exhibitions, demonstrations, lectures, live music and performances.
- Participant’s Waiver
Submission of work automatically waives any claim for damage or loss against PMFA, including the officers, members and employees. PMFA will exercise reasonable care in handling all entries, but will not assume any liability for loss or damage while in the PMFA’s possession or during shipping. Work may be independently insured by the photographer.
Each artist retains all copyrights to their own images. Artist’s recognition is provided with any use.
- Usage Rights
By submitting images you are giving PMFA the right to use the images for the purpose of marketing the exhibition and for reproduction online. Artists grant the use of their image(s) as stated without further contact or compensation from the PMFA. Artist’s recognition is provided with any use. Submitting artists will be added to PMFA’s email subscriber list. They may opt out using a link on each email at any time.
- PMFA reserves the right to adjust any deadline(s) as the result of causes beyond its immediate control.
- Payment of the submission fee indicates acknowledgement of all terms and conditions.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Peter at (401) 225-6792.